Monday, July 11, 2005

New Blood On Sale

A few years ago, on warrenmurphy.com, Warren wrote to his fans that he wanted to thank us for being such loyal readers of the Destroyer series. He'd decided to publish a book of short stories, entirely fan written, with a forward written by him.

I'd never written any fiction, aside from some small attempts as a child, but I decided to try. There had been a character mentioned a few times, but never seen. I'd always wondered what she'd have to say. I had already imagined things about her life as I'd come across references to her in the books. Since something of her life was known, I thought it might be easier for a beginner. The story already was structured; I just had to fill in things from her perspective.
It was both easier, and much harder, than I'd imagined. I got stuck about two thirds through, and spent months fiddling with it, changing a word here, a phrase there. Finally, about a year later, after I learned how to format it, I e-mailed the file. It wasn't bravery, it was ignorance (or innocence). That, and I figured he lived too far away for me to hear him laughing.


Then, hearing back from him. Finding out that he thinks it's well-written. Finding out he likes it. Imagine that, something I'd set in someone else's world, a world that I love, and hearing back from the author that he liked what I did!

Now, the book's been printed. My copy is already on the way. The book went on sale yesterday. Just through warrenmurphy.com, and destroyerworld.com; later Amazon will get some in. Ballybunnion is a small publishing house so it can only do so much.

My biggest hope is that Mr. Murphy will at least break even on the printing costs, or maybe do a little better. I know I have a few stories ready to choose from if a second book becomes a possibility. I know some of the other authors have some too. Then there are the others, the ones who didn't know about the short story submissions until it was too late. Some of them have written fan fiction at the DestroyerClub that's really well done. It would be a shame if none of them got their chance. For now, I'll have to wait and see and try to think of ways to sell New Blood.

And, if nothing else ever comes from it, thank you, Mr. Murphy, for giving me the incentive to try something I'd always wanted to try.

No comments: