Monday, November 12, 2012

Friendship

"I simply mean to say that truly close friendships are often very difficult to find, no matter who you are, and if I were counseling someone with AS, I think I would be very honest and objective about that possibility. I would try to explain that sometimes, no matter what we do and no matter how wonderful we might be, things happen to interfere with friendships. I would lead them, for example, through elaborated stories that illustrate people moving to far away towns, people getting wrapped up in their busy schedules, following different routines, having different interests, enjoying different kinds of play, and having their own set of difficulties and responsibilities.  I would try to explain that sometimes time and place and sets of circumstances work against real friendships."

From Pretending to be Normal, but I think it's something we all have to remind ourselves about from time to time, those of us who resist change and don't understand change and so fear it.

No comments: